About Hollywood Markets
How it all began
Wondering about Hollywood Markets? Here’s a little bit about us.
After returning home from serving in France during World War I, John Welch, Sr. opened his first grocery store in Detroit, Michigan. John was the proud father to four sons; Robert, John, Richard and William.
Jay’s Market – 1947
Sadly, the eldest Welch son, Robert, was lost while serving in World War II. In 1947, John Welch’s second oldest son, John, nicknamed “Jay,” opened his own store called “Jay’s Market” in Detroit.
First Hollywood Store in Royal Oak – 1950
In June of 1950, the Welch family opened its first “Hollywood Market” on Campbell Road in Royal Oak, Michigan. Spearheading this effort was Charles Ross. Charles Ross became Jay, Rich and Bill’s stepfather when their mother remarried. Not long after the store opened, Rich and Bill left to serve in the Army during the Korean conflict. Upon returning from duty, all the boys took to working in the store. Many years later it became necessary to sell this store because of its small size and the need to expand was great.
A Second store
In 1959, Main Street became the second Hollywood Markets in Royal Oak, which was twice as large as the first store. Rich was selected to manage this store while Bill managed the Campbell Road location. And Jay, being the oldest, would supervise both stores.
And a third and fourth
The year 1967 brought a third Hollywood Markets to Maple Road in Troy, Michigan. This store was an instant success and quickly became a favorite neighborhood grocery store. From day one, the Welch family set out to make customer service, as well as an outstanding meat department their top priorities. And they did. Hollywood Markets developed an enviable reputation as the best place in town to buy superior quality meats, a reputation they still have to this day. Yet more stores were on the Welch Family’s horizon.
In 1973, the fourth Hollywood Market began when the family purchased from Tony’s Market on Opdyke Road in Auburn Hills. In 1999, this Hollywood Store was relocated to the former J & J Market at the corner of South Boulevard and Opdyke Road, where you’ll find it today in Bloomfield Township.
In 1978, the search for another store location brought the Welch’s to Shelby Township, where they purchased the former Auburn Orchards Market on Auburn Road and made it the fifth Hollywood Market.
Although it was a long stretch from 1978 to 2007, it was well worth the wait. This time the Welch Family decided to increase their store total by three, these additions were purchased from the former Michigan Farmer Jack grocery chain. They’re located on Campbell Rd. in Madison Heights, Rochester Rd. in Rochester and Lapeer Rd. in Lake Orion. With the addition of the three new stores, to date The Welch’s Hollywood Markets are now seven strong.
And there you have it, 1924 to present, 87 years and counting, all of our stores still going strong, still proudly serving past, present and future Hollywood Markets customers. Our mission of customer service remains the same as it was in the beginning. And as we move forward with the fourth generation of the Welch family and Hollywood Markets, we stand by what Mrs. Welch said long ago in her advertising flyer from the 1930’s… “We Aim To Please.”